Tips to Recession Proof Your Job

Job Seekers Tips to Recession Proof  Your Job

Just when you thought it was safe to throw out that cardboard box you secretly kept under your desk and bring in the family photos, your employer announces Layoffs.  

Layoffs, downsizing, reorganization?  No matter what term you use, the end result is the same.  You can become unemployed.  So what can Employees do to help preserve their jobs during  company downturns? What are the top tips to Recession Proof Your Job? 

 Here are some creative tips to help you get started:

  • Understand your role in an organization, and map out how your position impacts the company’s bottom line.  Whether it’s by bringing in revenue, keeping costs down, streamlining processes, or assuming additional responsibilities that would otherwise require additional resources; we all impact the bottom line in some form.  This information is also valuable during Performance Review time, and should be reflect in your resume.
  • Volunteer for assignments, even those outside the scope of your job.  This is a great opportunity to demonstrate your motivation, network internally, and pick up new skills along the way.  Talk to your manager about additional ways you can contribute to your department or within the organization.  Don’t wait to be called on, be assertive, enthusiastic and volunteer.
  • Network Network Network!!!  The more people you know inside and outside of your organization is a start.  The more people that KNOW YOU  is vital. Earn a stellar reputation by proactively helping when you see a need.  Be seen as the “goto” person.  Be your authentic self, not a brown noser.  There is a reason you were hired in the first place so I bet there is something pretty wonderful about you.  Share those abilities.
  • Continue to Learn outside the organization.  Continuing education throughout your career is vital.  When money is tight at home, and your company is not offering Educational Assistant Programs hit the internet (after-hours).  The internet is a plethora of FREE training, no matter what your field, industry or scope of job.   Familiarize yourself with websites that cater to your specific job function and technology.  For example, if you are an Adobe Illustrator Graphic Designer, visit Adobe’s FREE tutorials site at  Another great resource is the “Classroom in a Book” training guides with CD lessons.  These are great value and can be found at local book on online at   There are also websites that cater to the independent learner, such as, and provide FREE tutorials and a vast array of technologies.
  • Did you choose your job, or did it choose you?  Only about 35% of employees are in their ideal job, the other 65% are in jobs that stemmed from a chain reaction of employment opportunities over the course of time.   How many times have you met someone with a specialized degree and found them working in a completely different line of work?  There are creative and fun ways to help you determine an ideal career match.  Many employers are using a formal Personality and Behavioral Testing, such as Myers Briggs, to gain insight into their employee’s personality traits, how they compare to peers and leadership, and how to use that information to identify opportunities where commonality can be leveraged.  If your company is not participating in Personality Testing, there FREE online quizzes that are fun to take to gain insight into your own career path, such as:

It is true that most of us working now will not have just one employer.  The next generation of workers will probably have even more employers than we have had.  Taking personal responsibility in keeping up to date skills and networks will be vital during career transition.
Jacki Neal
Jacki loves solving the worlds issues over lunch with industry professionals. She is a self proclaimed non- recovering technology junkie and Diet Coke addict. As the owner of an INC 500/5000 Staffing and Placement firm since 1997, she has helped her clients grow by locating Top Talent to join their teams. She has been known to totally blow the Peak marketing budget by 'grabbing' a bus and taking 75 clients and employees to see Jimmy Buffett. Funny, how relationships change when you see executives in grass skirts.
Jacki Neal
Jacki Neal
Jacki Neal

Latest posts by Jacki Neal (see all)


  1. This design is spectacular! You definitely know how to keep a
    reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
    to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how
    you presented it. Too cool!

Speak Your Mind


Peak Resource Group • 410 Peachtree Parkway • Suite 4245 • Cumming, GA 30041
Email: • Phone: 770-888-1659

Copyright © 2009-2012 Peak Resource Group. All rights reserved. Site by Bruce Brownlee Company